Tuesday, November 9, 2010

PROJECT 2: Large Format

Recently, I've been working with large format film, more specifically the view camera in the photo room. It was interesting to work with, mainly because it takes A LOT more time. It's difficult to move around, it takes a while to focus the camera, and just set everything up overall. For test shots I used polaroids, and in the end only had one piece of film for each set-up. I got to work with taking my brother's portrait and I'm working on printing a set of all three of us for a gift for my mom. I was kind of bummed though because one of the pieces of film was exposed and was essentially ruined. Thankfully, I've already set up the classroom as a studio several times, so doing it again isn't too difficult.

The other aspect of working with large format film is printing it. Because it's so much larger, every flaw can be seen. The paper is bigger and a bit tricky to avoid getting "man-handling" marks on it, but in the end I like the bigger image. It really shows off the effort that went into taking the shot. I'll upload some of my work later.

No comments: